July 31, 2011

Roman Shade- Part I

I dislike our guest bathroom.

When we first moved in, the room was bright white. It was like a hospital. The bright white walls, bright white cabinet, bright white floor, bright white everything. I tried to introduce some color and went for a light gray when we repainted. Unfortunately for me, on the walls, it was pretty much white. See here:



Mr. refuses to repaint and frankly, I do too. This room was a major pain to paint. So the gray is staying.

We also hate all of the tile in this room but alas we have no desire to overhaul this bathroom. It is functional for the two or three times a year we have guests and we are content with that.

This is the shade that was in there when we moved in:



The color was OK but with everything being so bland, I felt we needed an infusion of something.

We also had the issue of the blinds showing their age:



Ick.

So I decided my next project would be making a roman shade. I found these instructions online.

I looked around for fabric for awhile. I wanted something in a blue and eventually came across some blue fabric I liked at Joann's on major sale so I scooped it up.

I was able to get all of the materials needed at Home Depot and Joann's.

One note: The fabric I bought was canvas, which has two downfalls: 1. it sheds super easy. 2. it is not super flowy. Still worked but if you are looking for those qualities, not the fabric for you.

Also, if you look at the picture of the window above, yes, that is our neighbor's house so we definitely needed something that was opaque. I have never seen them with their blinds open but still. Better safe than sorry.

The biggest challenge that I had for this project was that the instructions were for an inside mount blind. We need to have outside mount on our windows so I modified the instructions accordingly.

I don't want this post getting too long and picture heavy so stay tuned for part 2 where I go through the interesting bits of the construction process.

No comments: