December 19, 2010

Christmas Crafts: Wreaths

Last year, this wreath was all the rage.

I made one and it hung happily in our home all holiday season:




This year, I decided to make another one. I was going to make it larger than the last and use sturdier wire.

Good idea. Bad execution.

I very excitedly bought a nice batch of unbreakable ornaments and some wire and set to work. Now, I mention that the ornaments were unbreakable because my last wreath used glass bulbs which were an issue because:

1. They are really heavy which makes the wreath more oval without extra wires for support.
2. They break.

Now, it says to hot glue the holders to the ornaments. I decided to skip this step this year out of pure laziness and the fact that they seemed pretty well attached. This was a mistake because when I try to adjust the ornaments, they fly off. Oh well. Lesson learned.

I also tried to put the ornaments on the same pattern to get a neat looking wreath. Yeah well, it looks random anyways. Oh well again.

The wire I used was not as strong as I would have liked. But, with some high school physics applied, I was able to get the wreath to hang in a just-about-circle and stay put. Also, it ended up the same size as last year's so the wire method was a waste. Voila:



I should also add that Mr. hates this wreath as it has managed to get glitter all over our house.

Wreath #3, I made because I wanted one for our window but couldn't find one big enough. I bought a wreath wire and some garland and here she is:



Unfortunately, I couldn't get a picture without the trees reflecting in the window. I forgot to take one until it had already been hung. Oh well one more time.

No comments: