December 21, 2010

It's (Not) the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Following up on Mrs.’ previous post, I second the recommendation of Christmas shopping online. You get to avoid trudging out into the snow and 18 degree weather. You get to avoid the crowds, meaning you don’t have to deal with the large number of people crowding the streets and stores rudely rushing by and knocking into you, and you get to avoid the people who are usually walking in front of me, who either 1. don’t know where they’re going, 2. aren’t in a hurry to get where they’re going, or 3. both. And since you can shop from the comfort of your own home, you’re less likely to put off shopping until December 22, which seems to be the average day that I start despite the fact that every year I vow to get my shopping done earlier the next year.


But if that wasn’t enough, you also get to avoid what has become my new Christmas shopping pet peeve, which is browsing online for gifts, finding a gift that you want to buy, and then making the trip out to the store only to find that they don’t have it in the store. This seemed to happen with roughly 90% of the gifts I planned on buying this year. It was like the stores were purposely doing this to screw with my head.


Usually I avoid internet shopping because it means it will have to be delivered, which means there’s a good chance I’ll have to wait at home for the package (or at least Mrs. will) or we’ll have to arrange a time to go pick it up. And if the gift is for Mrs. there’s a good chance that she will then 1. know where the present is from, or 2. open it, thereby ruining the surprise. But after years of shopping debacles, it sounds really good to be able to say goodbye to dealing with overcrowded stores covered in snow, tired, hungry, and growing more and more disenchanted with the Christmas season, all the while searching in vain for an item that is sold out at the store.


So internet shopping for Christmas gifts? Yeah, sign me up for that.

No comments: