December 21, 2010

Yes, Mrs., There Is Internet Shopping

I love Christmas if you can't tell by my thousands of holiday posts but there is one aspect of Christmas that I absolutely hate: Shopping in stores.

This hearkens back to my childhood when my Dad would take me and my siblings to the mall the Monday after Thanksgiving to do all of our Christmas shopping. Why? I have no idea. I think he is a masochist. Let me give you a glimpse into that:

Three bratty kids all bundled in winter gear. I was the whiniest of them all. The mall is hot. I have a winter coat on. There are crowds.

Me: I am hot! I don't want to wear my coat!
Dad: If you take your coat off, you have to carry it.
Me: I am hot!
Dad: If you take your coat off ,you have to carry it.
Me: I am hot! How many stores?
Dad: If you take your coat off, you have to carry it. Enough.
Me: I am hot! I am hot! I am hot!
Dad: Tough. Take your coat off and carry it.
Me: I DON'T WANT TO. Can't you carry it???
Dad: No.

And so on... I would keep my coat on because I didn't want to carry it. I was about 15 here.

Hot stores + crowds + Christmas songs + me in winter gear = a bad combo to this day. I get nauseous just thinking about it. Ick.

As a result, I do almost all of my Christmas shopping online because, not only can it be delivered directly to where I need it to go, I can do it from work. Yes, I am a time thief.

Last night though Mr. and I decided to make a trip to Macy's. It was so hot and jammed. My face looked like it was ready to explode with the redness. I first started with the scarf, ripping it off my neck and throwing it into my bag with my hat and mittens. Then, I unbuttoned my coat a little later. And, then I undid my fleece vest. (Hey, it is cold here.) I was dying. It was so hot. My boots started making my feet sweat and itch out of control. Flashbacks to when I was 5. I had no desire to carry my coat so I suffered in semi-silence. I might have thrown a mini-tantrum telling Mr. to get whatever, they can return it, I just want out of there. (The thoughtfulness that goes into the gifts we buy is unmatched.)

The only redeemable thing from the night: I bought a candy bar in the shoe department and scarfed it down before we were out of the store.

No comments: