December 10, 2010

Read This!: The Calligrapher's Daughter

By Eugenia Kim

On scanning the new releases at the library, I came upon The Calligrapher’s Daughter, which depicts the story of Najin, the daughter of an aristocratic family growing up during the first half the 20th century in Japanese-occupied Korea. Throughout the book which takes place over 30 or so years, she struggles between the traditional ways loved by her father and her determination to pursue her education and independence in a fast-changing world.

I found this book really interesting in parts particularly when it described Korean traditions and culture. I also found it interesting because I don’t know that much about Korean history and didn’t realize that Japan occupied it with such brutal force even forbidding the speaking of the Korean language as part of their desire to eradicate all Korean culture. I did think some parts of the book were dry with their explanations of history but I realize that this was needed to set the stage for events in the book. They would lose their meaning without the background. Overall though, I would recommend.

No comments: